February 24, 2007

the mirror reflects

These blog titles are getting cheesier by the day...sigh...

Well, it was another mad week but I will try to recall most of it in sparkling, vivid detail. I had a meeting with my directing tutor (Steve) on tuesday, where we came up with some great ideas to enhance the 'look' of the film. He encouraged me to experiment with black and white, and I decided to do so in the edit, but not while shooting. Most of the crew agreed to the changes and felt it would add aesthetic value to the film, as well as an interesting theme. I watched a few films from the era he suggested, like 'Repulsion'. I also now openly admit buying several fashion magazines for research. This is highly believable, as many of my classmates will testify that I would rather be out of fashion than buy a copy of 'Vogue'. But the magazines surprised me. I got some interesting ideas from them. One had an article about models being dangerously skinny (as if that is a new issue, but anyway) and another had a diary-esque article about a woman trying to live for a week without any mirrors. This intrigued me and I read the entire thing. What I at first dismissed as a silly piece of writing by a fashion-obsessed beauty editor turned out to have many points I identified with. I understood how difficult it must have been for her in some situations, such as getting a haircut or dressing for a formal event, without a mirror. I wondered about mirrors in people's lives and what they mean to them. This led to a few minor changes in the script, which is now on its fourth draft.

On Thursday, we had a camera class with Paul, where we discussed specific issues about films we were shooting. We tried to light the very dark location for 'Toilet' and thought of viable solutions to manage this. We decided that changing the bulbs on the ceiling lamps or using a bright key light bounced off the ceiling would be best. We also looked at locations for 'Silence' and I suggested blocking lights in the hallway with black poster paper, in order to create shadows. I later met my AD and discussed locations and props for the film, as well as some script details. We planned a meeting with the whole crew for the coming Sunday. I also got some books from the library on directing, hoping to find inspiration.

On early Friday morning, I received the news that Jon would be unable to work on our film. We hurriedly asked Mishaal to take over as assistant camera and he readily agreed. We had one set of auditions on Friday, where a few people turned up. I even resorted to walking around campus and approaching young women with "Hey! You look exactly like the kind of girl I am looking for! How would you like to be in a student film?". I have never picked up women before in my life and now wholly understand why my male friends complain about it. :) We found a few women we liked and are waiting to see some more, but the casting situation in general is looking positive. We also looked at the tapes from Zoe's audition and liked a few people whom we could call for the London audition. At the end of the day, it was a well-organized and productive casting session. There were no mistakes or moments of feeling unprepared. A big 'thank you' to our producer, Shafia!

Saturday was (finally) a day of some rest. I went out and finalized the first storyboard with Lou and then bought some essentials to survive the coming week, such as long-lasting food and a flash drive! :) I looked over the storyboard myself and made notes for the meeting tomorrow. I also contacted a friend who works in theatre, about some actresses.

The budget has been planned to accommodate vintage clothes and posters for the set. I am all set to make a trip to London next week for buying these items and to conduct a final audition. It will be a hectic week but hopefully a productive one. The script I was writing for my MA film is currently on hold, as are all the other scripts I was churning out swiftly. 'The Mirror' has completely taken over my working hours and the only spare time I have is spent resting, to gather energy for the rest of the work.

I must run along now and get some (much needed) sleep. The week ahead is going to fry my nerves and I must be prepared. Ciao!
gk*

listening to-Franz Ferdinand

No comments: