November 13, 2008

Graduation day

Well, the day finally dawned when I acquired another degree. I was sitting in the huge hall, feeling stifled and hot, as you do in Jane Austen novels when you are a young heroine vastly uninterested in capturing the attentions of an appropriate suitor. Anyway, back to the point. So I skipped breakfast, because I was far more interested in looking stunning for the Big Day. Of course, in my life, that translates into looking like a drowned rat because I didn't get time to dry my hair, too much perfume and half-done make up. At least I had natural rosy cheeks from running after a bus for 7 minutes down Eccy road. (Damn you, taxi that never turned up!)

I spent the first few minutes in City Hall chatting with the few people from my course who turned up, cursing myself for forgetting to bring a mirror and looking for spots I'd missed whilst shaving my legs. I eventually got up to find a bathroom to beautify myself, making everyone in my row stand up, then doing the awkward try-not-to-let-your-bum-touch-anyone-as-you-exit walk. Once there, I realized I had forgotten my handbag in the hall, with my precious make up stash in it. I tried to fix my appearance but the harsh lighting made me feel worse, so I slunk back. By now, I was ready to faint from the heat, lack of food and the butterfly farm which had nested in my stomach. I became light-headed. And that's when I remembered a similar day...

(Cue the dream sequence wavy lines)

No, it was not the day I graduated from MH, that hallowed all-girls institution where I did my first degree. It was the day I joined it. I remember the hot July afternoon, standing at the back of a massive auditorium, upon whose stage I would perform in years to come (but I didn't know it then), with hundreds of other young women. We were all bored, waiting for the endless welcome speeches to end, and the Principal seemed to be droning on for ages. I was standing at the very back, fanning myself with a fresher's welcome brochure of some sort, feeling faint because I'd skipped breakfast so that I could (you guessed it) look good on the Big Day. I knew no one and was acutely aware of it for the first 30 minutes or so, after which all I wanted was air conditioning. But then the Principal said some things about being a student at MH and what it meant to be there, something about a history of strong independent women, making a difference in the world, and how we should all be proud of being a part of it all. She said that our time here as undergraduates was precious and we should make the most of it and find a way to shine. I felt strangely inspired and had a deep feeling that one day I would understand the full weight of her words. She said we would be adults when we left, and it was so true. I learnt a lot, not just about literature, but about life. Before I embark upon a philosophical diatribe about it all, I shall stop. the point is, I had the same feeling yesterday. The university's VC said some similar things, things which I think I may fully understand a few years from now. And I look forward to it.

Oh and my joke about the lack of gown with the VC got a few laughs and lifelong infamy. But if I don't lead a soap-opera life, who will? :)

g.k., B.A. (Hons.), M.A. ---> ha ha!

No comments: